Monday, October 26, 2015

ClassWork

1. The link to the History archive is.

2. The activity we have been tasked with doing today is using a history textbook from the 19th century in order to more clearly understand how the educated whites of the time wanted the students of the time to view their Native American counterparts. The use of the word savage, which is to say fierce, ferocious, and untamed; and savagery, which is to say a barbaric state or condition is very present in this textbook, helping to strengthen the ever present idea that somehow since Native Americans behave differently they should be treated as lesser and don't deserve to have rights.

3. If I was an American student from the 19th century tasked with reading this portion of text for homework there is absolutely no doubt I would perceive Native Americans to be a barbaric race that got what they deserved. I know how horrible that sounds but without any other backing except for what I was reading, they only appear to be an aggressive bunch of barbarians who practically forced the whites to fight with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment