Friday, October 2, 2015

Q1 Reflections

         Over the course of the first quarter I have learned a plethora of new ideas about studying history. I have learned to empathize with others regardless of my personal beliefs. I have been very strong with my blog posts as a whole I believe and my research has been on point. I also think that my in class discussions have not only benefitted me but also the other students of this class as well. I believed that the reading was somewhat busy work and I think that I probably need to be more open to seeing the value of not only opening the text book but truly understanding the things said.

         I have always considered myself to be open to the study of history because of the quote, " those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."-George Santayana. Also, history as a whole is very interesting to me because I love to see the patterns that civilizations throughout time have gone through over and over again. I hope to grow as a student of United States History by continuing to learn the fine points of the time periods being studied. I want to know specific details as opposed to the more broad ideas that I know from taking AP World History last year.

         Some things that I now know that I didn't know before is just how helpful movies can be to the study of history. They allow you to truly see the world from that time period. I have also began to truly understand how people felt about slavery, that not every white man that owned slaves was some absolutely horrible individual. I hope to learn more about the fighting throughout the Revolutionary and Civil War because I find learning about battles to be something very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment