1. Propaganda- The spreading of information to either help or hinder a person or idea.
2. Merriam-Webster
4/5/6. Link
Image 1: My eyes are immediately drawn to a mother holding her children in what appears to be a battle field. I believe that this is used in order to create fear in the viewer, so that he/she will buy liberty bonds in order to protect something like that from happening to them. This poster is designed for the husbands and wives who are at home and desire to continue to live in the freedom won for them.
Image 2: I notice the woman pointing into the distance with an American Flag draped over her, slowly my eyes glance down the image and I notice a seemingly infinite sea. I believe that this method of propaganda is used in order to emphasize just how much the soldiers have done for us, traveling a seemingly infinite number of miles to go to god knows where in order to protect us. This image is made for everyone at home to reflect on what others have given up for them so that they too can give something up of themselves.
Image 3: My eyes go to the dead soldier. This image is simple on purpose so that the viewer feels somber. It really brings home the idea that the soldiers in this war are giving up everything for us so it makes a lot of sense for us to be willing to give up something for them. This image is targeted at anyone who has a heart, to be frank. It helps to emphasize what soldiers are doing for us, and what we should then in turn do for them.
7. I am not comfortable with the idea of the government using propaganda to convince me of something because throughout history that has been abused to make the general public believe facts that are not necessarily the absolute truth. It skews information that the public then doesn't know the truth about.
8. I think that the government felt it was necessary to invest money into propaganda campaigns during WWI because they were fighting in completely foreign lands for the first time and were most likely in dire need of money to continue that fight.
No comments:
Post a Comment