- I already knew that in order to effectively view a political cartoon you had to view it from a number of angles. I knew that you had to consider things such as irony and prior knowledge and exaggeration when deducing the meaning of the cartoon. I did not know, however, how important every minor detail of a political cartoon is. It is necessary to examine every inch of the photo to understand the true meaning.
- I will now look at a political cartoon somewhat similarly to how one must look at a painting such as the Mona Lisa. While the girl is obviously an important part, there is so much more to unraveling the true meaning behind the piece of art. I will use the guide published by WikiHow in order to assist me in analyzing.
This cartoon is reflecting on the United States decision to purchase the Philippines from Spain. It is showing that the Philippines, even though they appeared to already be very weak, needed to be punished for the incorrigible actions. I used my prior knowledge and also the exaggeration of the proper looking white man to the Philippine boy to help analyze this cartoon.
This cartoon is showing Americans taking advantage of the Open Door policy with the Philippines. The fat American men are about to go and take all of the expensive natural resources that the Philippines had to offer. I analyzed this cartoon by looking at the characters shown as well as the exaggeration of the big American men with their large sacks filled to the brim with what I believe to be gold.
This cartoon is showing Americas response to the sinking of the U.S.S. Maine in Cuba. It is showing the Americans literally shooting the poorly equipped Spanish man back into Spain. I analyzed this through simply looking at the image and using the prior knowledge which I had already been in possession of.
terrible. work a little harder next time. Jeez.
ReplyDelete